The Dangerous Consequences Of A Leaky Roof

26 June 2015
 Categories: , Blog

Share

The most obvious damage from a leaking roof is water dripping onto the floor. And since no one looks forward to getting their roof repaired or replaced, some people try to put the repairs off by treating the symptoms; after all, as long as you catch the water in bowls and keep it from damaging the floor, isn't a leaky roof more of an annoyance than a real danger?

Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding no. A leaky roof can have some very serious consequences if it's left unfixed. So if you've got leaks in your roof, don't wait until you have one of the following problems; call a roofer or contractor and see what can be done to fix your roof.

Ceiling Damage

It's worth pointing out that, even if you're catching the water before it soaks down into the floor and damages it, that water is still seeping through the roof and ceiling. Paint and plaster on ceilings is susceptible to water damage; paint can discolor and peel away, while plaster swells with moisture, bubbling outward. And ceiling drywall can become saturated with water and crumble, compromising the whole structure of the ceiling.

Structural Wood Rot

Any structural parts of your home that are made from wood, such as the frame, roof truss, or rafters, can rot with excessive exposure to moisture. And none of these structural parts are things that you want suddenly collapsing because they have become weak and soft with decay. If you notice any ceiling buckling in your home, you need to call a contractor immediately.

Electrical Fires

When wiring comes in contact with water, that water acts as a conductor, and this can cause problems with short circuits. But there's another serious problem that can come from water and electricity. Long-term exposure of wiring to water can cause corrosion. Excessive corrosion on electrical terminals—the terminals in an electrical box, for example—can cause them to become overheated, potentially starting an electrical fire.

Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew are two words for household fungi, and they love humidity. That's why you often see mold growing on shower tiles. But while mold on a non-porous surface like tile can be easily cleaned away with bleach, mold that infiltrates porous surfaces and grows above ceilings or behind walls is much more difficult to get rid of, often requiring the services of a mold remediation company to remove completely.

And mold can range from an annoyance to a serious health issue. Coughing, sneezing, and eye and respiratory irritation are common symptoms; generally, exposure to mold causes a reaction similar to seasonal allergies.

But for people with asthma or difficulty breathing, mold can trigger dangerous attacks. And some people are severely allergic to mold, reacting with wheezing and severe shortness of breath. For these groups of people, a home with a mold problem isn't livable at all.